Book recommendation Re: [FoRK] Re: anybody remember...

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Mon Jul 9 10:52:25 PDT 2007

> You're welcome, of course, to continue thinking -- as you assert --
> "that we can never know the answers to those questions, no matter how
> far science and technology advance."  I'm quite comfortable not
> knowing the answers to those and many other qualitatively similar
> questions, like "what color is Thursday?" and "how porous is love?"
>
> I would however encourage you to read a bit more on the matter...
> starting, perhaps, with a more careful review of Chalmers.

  I've more than carefully reviewed Chalmers;
  I've exchanged a few emails with him.

  I've been reading Chalmers since, what, 1996?
  I'm quite familiar with his classes of dualism and his
  type F monism.  I had come to them independently,
  but just had different names for them.  (For example,
  class D dualism, I called "the magical universe hypothesis,"
  and I called class E dualism "ephiphenominalism."
  F monism is usually a pan-psychism, but there are other
  models that can fit it as well.

  I tend towards E or F, though on Tuesdays I think it's D.
  All of them strike me as possibilities.  A-C are completely
  nutters, though, and neither I nor Chalmers accept them.

  " I can't possibly imagine how you've come to believe that David
  Chalmers in any way validates your (apparent) position that there's
  something ineffable about consciousness."

  What do you mean by "ineffable?"

  I think David Chalmers supports my position that
  consciousness, or "soul" as it's conventionally called, is:
  A) not explained
  B) not understood
  C) we have a hard time even coming to understand how
    we could even approach it
  D) it's arguably not even possible
  E) sure seems pretty mysterious right now

  I'm more certain of my consciousness than anything else,
  which the mere experience of which is entirely contingent
  on my being conscious.  So if you want to say, "These are
  ridiculous questions," go right ahead.  And what do I know,
  maybe you're not conscious.  I have no way of telling.
  Maybe they are ridiculous questions for you.