[FoRK] Crazy is catching? More evidence for infectious cause for schizophrenia?

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Mon Jul 9 19:04:02 PDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2007, at 8:47 PM, Brian Atkins wrote:
>
>> Seems more likely they have it backwards, and that pre-clinical
>> levels of mental illness could lead to the affected individuals
>> being more likely to have lower than average economic status -
>> thereby leading them to be already living in those geographic
>> locations before hitting the point where they receive official
>> treatment/become a data point for this study.
>
> That's entirely reasonable, though I'd not want to bet one way or
> the other at this point.  There's other, various circumstantial
> evidence to suggest that proximity and length of contact to and
> with schizophrenics is a risk factor for later development of
> schizophrenia.  (That suggests a particular causal direction, of
> course.)  Re:  the prion-schizophrenia connection hypotheses, I
> think perhaps Gordon Mohr was the first person I heard talk about
> that --- but various later papers and studies are all over the map
> on that one.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

"Several independent pieces of evidence point towards a role of
Toxoplasma infection in cases of schizophrenia and paranoia."
Perhaps also responsible for Crazy Cat Lady syndrome.

Infectious diseases with no significant symptoms other than high-
level behavioral and cognitive modification are hardly unknown.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers