[FoRK] Why is there any experience of it, at all? (was: GEB, etc.)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Jul 10 08:52:59 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Elias Sinderson <elias at soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> > The problem here, is that we have two phenomenon, which are different,
> > "the subjective experience," and: "the neural correlates of
> > consciousness."
> Blaarrgh, why must you insist on creating this duality? Really now, the
> neural correlates /are/ the experience.

  It's not a created duality, it's just obvious on the face of it.

  It's like, "here's a transistor, here's a schematic readout of the
transistor."

  They are two different things, and you can hold them in your hand.

  "Well, you didn't have to make the schematic!"

  OK, and: I guess there didn't have to be a subjective experience.

  Why are ignoring the obvious?

  I mean, look at any collection of neural correlates.  Are you seeing
  out of it's interior view?

  As soon as a brain comes into your vision, do you, spontaneously,
  start seeing out of it's eyes?

  No?  You don't?

  There's a difference between the two?

  Why are you creating needless dualities?!

  Are you sure you're not really just a pan-psychist, or something?