[FoRK] Why is there any experience of it, at all? (was: GEB, etc.)

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Tue Jul 10 09:26:19 PDT 2007

"Lion Kimbro" <lionkimbro at gmail.com>:
>So, this is a list of properties. And you ask the potential Zombie,
>"Have you ever bothered to notice anything that, say, you know, meets these
>properties?"

The zombie will, of course, answer "yes." If the zombie answered otherwise,
it wouldn't be a philosophical zombie, but something far simpler, like a
seven year-old's computer program. And the zombie would answer "yes" quite
truthfully, because those aspects of consciousness would describe aspects
of the zombie's inner life. (A phrase you have already admitted fits well
to the cognitive aspect of zombies.)

See, philosophical zombies aren't like the ones the movies that walk about
in a stupor looking for brains to eat. The philosophical zombie, by
definition, thinks it is no different from you or me. That thinking, of
course, is the mere result of a functioning brain, and not the result of a
Real and True Inner Light. As it is for you and me. But the zombie has no
way to tell that.