[FoRK] Why is there any experience of it, at all? (was: GEB, etc.)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Jul 10 10:28:52 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The philosophical zombie, by
> definition, thinks it is no different from you or me. That thinking, of
> course, is the mere result of a functioning brain, and not the result of a
> Real and True Inner Light. As it is for you and me. But the zombie has no
> way to tell that.

  We're covering no new ground here;
  I see no merit in continuing this particular line of argument,
  we've already played this line out, too many times.

  Go reference my previous responses, and so on.

  My play follows, "Yes, but I know that I'm aware, and I assume
  that a number of the other people, who say they are aware,
  are aware."

  That's an assumption, just like there are assumptions behind all
  of science.  ("The laws of physics are the same yesterday, as they
  were today," and so on.)

  If you can't commit to that assumption, then:  Okay.
  We are at an impasse.