[FoRK] Google Buys Postini: $625M

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Tue Jul 10 14:51:05 PDT 2007

Aaron Burt wrote on 7/9/2007 4:42 PM:
> On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 11:12:55AM -0700, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
>> It's about the archiving, not the anti-spam.
>> http://www.ianbell.com/2007/07/09/google-buys-postini/
>
> Huh.  SOx compliance makes things interesting, dunnit?  Guess I better
> start marketing a transparent drop-in SOx collector for email, IM and
> web-chat traffic.  Charge by the GB-month and watch the dollars roll in.
> (Maybe charge extra for discovery?)
>
> I've seen folks charge like $20k for simple transparent proxies.
> "Buy it, drop it in and go" must have a rather high dollar value.
>
> I guess high-tech success must be 20% hacking and 80% shouting about it,

In this case, 0.01% hacking, 99.99% government mandate. It probably took
them a long weekend to throw a product together. MUCH easier to spend a
little on bribing congress then man-years on something people _might_
want to buy, then more convincing them.

In most cases a fortune 500 will only buy something if the law says they
have too, open source will meet most other needs these days.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/