[FoRK] Google Buys Postini: $625M

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Tue Jul 10 16:40:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:51:05PM -0700, Adam L Beberg wrote:
> Aaron Burt wrote on 7/9/2007 4:42 PM:
> >I've seen folks charge like $20k for simple transparent proxies.
> >"Buy it, drop it in and go" must have a rather high dollar value.
> >
> >I guess high-tech success must be 20% hacking and 80% shouting about it,
>
> In this case, 0.01% hacking, 99.99% government mandate.

Hm.  "A mandate is merely the continuation of marketing by other means."

> In most cases a fortune 500 will only buy something if the law says they
> have too, open source will meet most other needs these days.

One of my points was that open source will meet those needs too, but
most folks with spending authority would rather buy a box-o-magic off
the shelf for $50,000 + 10%/yr maintenance + service. (Heck, buy two!)

IME, a decent sysadmin can knock together a prototype over a weekend.
Another week to polish the web-interface, select a Taiwanese router
appliance, and have a tech writer churn out some generic documentation
(doesn't have to be accurate, just present) and you have a Product.

The money doesn't come 'til someone with chutzpah and a nice suit goes
around shouting about this feat is so amazing, people should pay the
price of a nice car for a cheap computer preloaded with free software.

Doesn't make me like marketroids any better tho,
  Aaron

--
What most of the punters evidently wanted, but nobody quite dared to
sell, was a big grey box with NETWORK SECURITY painted on the front and