[FoRK] Open Question: Earth vs. ______?

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Wed Jul 11 12:24:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:16:37PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:53:17PM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > get by on much less fossil-fuels (you'd be surprised how effective
> > organic farming is, once you've spent a few years building tilth) but
>
> That's still way above sustainable population density.

Sorry to reply to an old post, but something interesting popped up
yesterday.  I'd been looking for a study like this for years:

http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=5936

"Organic farming can feed the world, U-M study shows"

Researchers from the University of Michigan found that in developed
countries, yields were almost equal on organic and conventional farms.
In developing countries, food production could double or triple using
organic methods...