[FoRK] Douglas Adams: Is there an Artificial God?

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Fri Jul 13 09:52:35 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 11:12:09AM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Hmm, I do love Vinge, but I can't agree that his detailed
> extrapolations are any more (or even as) plausible than / as other SF

I love Vinge, too, but his scale assumptions (how much humans
you need to drive progress at a given rate) are really grating.

> writers in that same vein.  He seems to make bold and provocative
> "large inferences" but the gritty minutia and the path from here to
> there just isn't his strong suit...  (For example:  despite all the
> trappings of very High Technology --- localizers, interstellar
> travel, FTL galaxy-scale data networking, etc. --- his characters
> continue to be largely human-scale intelligences, with the occasional

That's deliberate. You can't sell stories from a superhuman
intelligence POV, even if you could write them.

> Big Bad AI.  Yet he doesn't convincingly explore why this is the case
> or how interstellar society functions w/o there being massive deltas
> in relative individual power levels.

Another grating thing: too much uncritical libertarianism.

> I'd have to say I prefer (among recent bright lights) Ian McDonald

Never read him.

> and Charlie Stross (in his better moments.)  The undisputed if less-

Don't really like him. Readable, yes, but I much prefer Vinge.

> This of course brings to mind the old saw:  "science fiction isn't
> about the future, it's about today."

Of course. You can't sell the unintelligible.

> On that level, the most prescient sci-fi author of the 20th century
> may well have been Frank Herbert.  Dune is a fantastic discourse on
> the relationships between religion, power, and society --- and
> particularly the thorny problems and threats of Islamo-fascism,

I really don't like that word. What's wrong with radical Islamist?