[FoRK] Douglas Adams: Is there an Artificial God?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Fri Jul 13 10:03:26 PDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Luis Villa wrote:

> Read some of the more near-future Vinge (mostly short-stories, though
> Rainbows End certainly qualifies). It is much more plausible than his
> far-future stuff; more plausible than any other near-term fiction I've
> read in a while.

I'm counting that --- I think I've read (almost, if not) everything
the man's ever written, at least fiction-wise (as well as various
essays and other non-fiction.)  I'll give him props for the
occasional big leap, but there's just something missing in the
details, I'd say.  His characters are outstanding, but the overall
milleus are somewhat conspicuously lacking of something not
immediately identifiable.  My reaction to his stuff is sort of like
my reaction to Portland, Oregon the first time I visited that city;
it was so clean --- too clean.  Like, where was all the trash?  The
homeless people?  The broken stuff?  The dirty banged-up cars, etc.?
Just no sense of "street."

Rainbow's End is somewhat better at the details, but it still has a
kind of amusement park feel (never mind that one of the key sequences
is in fact set in an amusement park!)

jb