[FoRK] Form factor implies application;a new class of semi-mobile devices emerges?

strata at virtual.net <strata at virtual.net> on Mon Jul 16 10:39:09 PDT 2007

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2004/10/webpad_internet.html

I purchased one of the webpads mentioned in the article URL'd above, the one
with the handle on top and pull-out keyboard.  It has a Cisco part and marque
number, by which I guess that Cisco acquired Whipsaw, the original maker.  The
form factor is quite distinctive!

The guy I bought it from, for $15 or so, had a couple more; he'd gotten them in
trade from some other swap-meet dealer.  I wish I'd gotten two.  Mine boots,
and talks somewhat to my linksys wireless router, but wants some kind of proxy
host as an intermediary to deal with doing web lookups.  I haven't fiddled much
with it.

My vision for its use is precisely the kind of 'reference  notebook' that Jeff is
describing.   So yeah, the form factor is very important, imho.

best,
Strata