[FoRK] The State of Consciousness Studies

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Jul 16 11:45:54 PDT 2007

This is all nonsense.

Except when determining which animals are OK to kill for food in
non-emergency situations, I can't see much point in any of this.  Humans
are conscious.  The experience is intrinsic with the way our brains
work.  We know that plenty happens mostly out of direct reach of
consciousness.  We can control and train our conscious thoughts in
various ways.  We all experience consciousness, probably in different
but somewhat equivalent ways.  Our eyes see light and color with the
same mechanisms, so it's clear that we probably experience light in a
similar way.  Our brains might or might not have similar physical
grounding, but it's clear that we don't think all that differently given
the same rough cultural and educational input.

Some of us can even feel multiple threads, in a couple senses, that are
vying for primary attention (i.e. consciousness), sometimes even
experiencing parallel processing of unrelated thoughts and sensing.  I
often have split my mind between multiple simultaneous or time sliced
tasks.  I know when I'm doing reference searching, brute force
iteration, conceptual problem solving, physical or psycho-social
simulation, brainstorming to various degrees, etc., etc.  There's
nothing mysterious about it.  We can't quite recreate it, yet, but there
have been plenty of theories that seem explanatory.

The only way we will understand consciousness is to recreate it.  Most
current AI is focused on immediate, reachable problems, but eventually
we'll get back to making progress on the long-term goal.  In the mean
time, this is all just more mental masturbation of little consequence
except to confuse people.  In particular, creating complex theories full
of mysticism to justify supernatural belief is, again, intellectually
dishonest.

One of the problems with conscious intelligence is that the intrinsic
self-awareness can itself be modeled creatively.  If you think things
work a certain way, your mind will simulate and fill in the gaps for
that model.  My best example is an internal one to me: I created "the
box" long ago to control my attention.  When I decide I am done thinking
of something but that it keeps slipping back into my train of thought, I
vividly produce a mental 3-D box, stuff the offending thoughts and train
of thought into it, seal the box with force, and place it in a vague
storage area.  I know there is no box, no 3D mental space, or
physical-mental control, but I model it this way so that one part of my
mind can control the others.  It is nothing but a mental short hand, but
my mind makes it work.  Another example might be the ability to turn off
pain.  You can learn to focus on intense pain and cancel it out.  You
have to have a lot of consistent pain to do that, and in my experience
you have to give it your full concentration, but it can work amazingly well.

Many, maybe most, people don't understand that they can control their
minds.  I know people who make no effort to control their thinking.
They are either not fully self-aware or have never learned that they
have power over themselves.  Probably less self-aware people with no
self-mental control feel a lot more mystical about their own thinking.

I have a hard time seeing how most of the proposed theories mentioned
below have any serious connection to rational, non-mystical reality.  If
you take the axiom that unknown != supernaturalism, that the brain is
just a complex, emergent, wet machine, that what we experience is
necessarily limited by the act of experiencing it, and given all we know
so far about physiology, psychology, neural networks, emergent
phenomena, etc., the most you can say is that there are some interesting
things going on that would be cool to understand and imitate for fun and
profit.  There are plenty of facts that agree with these points.  You
can't use the lack of deep evidence to expand this into supernaturalism,
dualism, parallel universes, philotes, or whatever without being fully
fallacious.  If I have followed your mushy train of argument, it is that
consciousness == God.  What a leap.  You are utterly unconvincing.

The argument about how to prove you are conscious to another apparently
conscious person has some interesting merit.  Not much to my mind
though, unless you are talking about comparative benchmarks a la
Turing.  As has been explored in the "Uplift Wars" series, it is
important to understand how dissimilar beings, such as aliens, think.
This will likely be of most use in having mental models of how cognitive
AIs (CAIs) think at some distant point in the future.

sdw