[FoRK] The State of Consciousness Studies

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Mon Jul 16 12:04:41 PDT 2007

On 7/16/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> The only way we will understand consciousness is to recreate it.  (...)

  And then later:

> The argument about how to prove you are conscious to another apparently
> conscious person has some interesting merit.  Not much to my mind
> though, unless you are talking about comparative benchmarks a la
> Turing.

  Well, you just don't care;  It's clear to me.

  If you can't tell if something is conscious, how can you even
  tell if your creation is conscious?

  (Note that, this applies to children as well.)