[FoRK] The State of Consciousness Studies

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Jul 16 15:41:19 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> The only way we will understand consciousness is to recreate it.  (...)
>
>  And then later:
>
>> The argument about how to prove you are conscious to another apparently
>> conscious person has some interesting merit.  Not much to my mind
>> though, unless you are talking about comparative benchmarks a la
>> Turing.
>
>  Well, you just don't care;  It's clear to me.
>
>  If you can't tell if something is conscious, how can you even
>  tell if your creation is conscious?
Cognitive performance, demonstrated self-awareness, improvement by
self-control and modification / growth.

Self-awareness and modeling the corresponding internal state of others
at various levels, along with cognitive ability, demonstrates
consciousness well enough to me.  There is nothing magical about
"consciousness" that is distinct from these and these types of
performance capabilities.

>  (Note that, this applies to children as well.)
Child development stages are not only well documented, they are pretty
easy to pick up on as they happen.