[FoRK] The State of Consciousness Studies

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Jul 16 17:24:28 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   Consciousness isn't behavior.
>>
>>   It's subjective experience.
>
>  And--
>
>  When I say this--
>
>  Do you **get this?**
Yes, of course.  It can be experienced and it can be measured externally.

>  Do you understand what I'm talking about?
>
>  You realize that I'm not talking about something
>  that can be measured, or calculated, or timed,
>  or put under a microscope, right?
It can be measured and talked about to some extent by sufficiently
self-aware beings.
>  If you don't realize that, we're not talking the
>  same language here.
>
>  I'm not talking about a brain in the hand, (or in a head,)
>  I'm talking about what it is like to *be* a brain.
I can describe my mind / consciousness by analogy and differential
experience description, at least.  I can't describe much about how it
works, but that is not the subjective experience that you are referring
to.  I can only begin to describe what it is like because I have a rich
set of analogies (computers and software for instance) and because I
have a lot of information about how closely others seem to be thinking
like I do.
>   That's the difference here.
>  (And it is a material/relevant difference,
>   and it is a material/real difference.)
Why is it useful?