[FoRK] The State of Consciousness Studies

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Jul 16 20:17:37 PDT 2007

I keep making the mistake that you aren't trying to say something stupid
on purpose, so I interpreted that statement as: "When people stubbornly
insist that Consciousness is the same as the experience of the state
transitions of a live brain, ... no further explanation needed."  If you
want to be parsed literally and pedantically, I'm sure that we can
oblige, but that is hardly sporting conversation.

I inferred and interpolated from your statements that the point you were
trying to make was dualist, i.e. that consciousness was more than just
the regular result of the sophisticated, cultured, and educated brain of
plain old neurons made of plain old matter, without a soul providing
some supernatural spark.

sdw