[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Jul 17 06:44:42 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > And I forgot to mention that in an ideal party, after a while talkers
> > notice the cues from others around them (huh! the entire group around
> > me started yawning and vanished!), and shut up, or at least change
> > their style. Current mailing lists offer no such cues.
>
>   Luis,
>
>   I hear that you don't like the thread on consciousness.

This really is more general than this; the thread going on on my
company all-hands mailing list makes the consciousness thread pale in
comparison.

>   Honestly, though, nobody is forcing you to read the thread;
>   I ignore several other threads that I don't care for, either.

This is exactly the kind of head-in-the-sand comment that good mailing
list software would make irrelevant and obsolete. Instead of
pretending that such discussions have no cost (clearly they have a
cost; many people unsubscribe altogether instead of ignoring the one
thread, and if the conversation actually gets interesting I will miss
out) we could actually make them have no (or at least very low) cost.

Luis