[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Jul 17 07:15:45 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> >   Honestly, though, nobody is forcing you to read the thread;
> >   I ignore several other threads that I don't care for, either.
>
> This is exactly the kind of head-in-the-sand comment that good mailing
> list software would make irrelevant and obsolete. Instead of
> pretending that such discussions have no cost (clearly they have a
> cost; many people unsubscribe altogether instead of ignoring the one
> thread, and if the conversation actually gets interesting I will miss
> out) we could actually make them have no (or at least very low) cost.

  Well-- Wait, okay-- I have two lines of question.

  The first is personal and close:
  "Are people leaving the list because of the discussion on
  Consciousness?"  If that's true, I want to stop the conversation.
  I'd feel really bad if I knew (thought, even) that people were leaving
  the list.  It hasn't so much been "head in the sand," as, "it not even
  occurring to me."

  The second is, "What mailing list modifications would support
  multiple spaces?"

  I do recall hearing about a mailing list software package once,
  where they used headers to divide rooms, and so on, and I believe
  that there were some operations you could mail in, to say,
  "give me that room, oh, don't give me that room."

  It's not the same as you are talking about, but it is similar.

  Unfortunately, I don't remember it's name.