[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Michael Silk <michaelslists at gmail.com> on Tue Jul 17 07:37:49 PDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > >   Honestly, though, nobody is forcing you to read the thread;
> > >   I ignore several other threads that I don't care for, either.
> >
> > This is exactly the kind of head-in-the-sand comment that good mailing
> > list software would make irrelevant and obsolete. Instead of
> > pretending that such discussions have no cost (clearly they have a
> > cost; many people unsubscribe altogether instead of ignoring the one
> > thread, and if the conversation actually gets interesting I will miss
> > out) we could actually make them have no (or at least very low) cost.
>
>   Well-- Wait, okay-- I have two lines of question.
>
>   The first is personal and close:
>   "Are people leaving the list because of the discussion on
>   Consciousness?"  If that's true, I want to stop the conversation.
>   I'd feel really bad if I knew (thought, even) that people were leaving
>   the list.  It hasn't so much been "head in the sand," as, "it not even
>   occurring to me."
>
>   The second is, "What mailing list modifications would support
>   multiple spaces?"

can't we call a separate thread a separate space? obviously not
because that's the current system and apparently it doesn't work (i
don't have a whole lot of trouble ignoring threads i don't like; but
possibly that's because this account is _only_ for lists; if they came
into my primary account it would be 'annoying' - anyway, i don't want
to be called 'head in the sand'.).

i really like luis' analogy to the parties; but it seems you'd either
need to be subscribing and unsubscribing from conversations (or at
least turn them into 'whisper' mode, so you can investigate if you
feel like it), or live with the general 'noise' of threads, and try
and just investigate the ones of your interest ('walk on over').

interesting concept to think about though.

perhaps if each initial thread posting came in, in 'whisper' form
[just subject heading or perhaps just a few random words] and had a
link in it to 'listen to this' that would then get you the full posts
and future posts. if you didn't click 'listen', you wouldn't get more;
or perhaps you would get a 'listening threshold' which could be set
and determine how many messages you receive if a conversation lasts
long enough.

from the listening mode you could then change back to whisper or 'ignore'.

hmm. i like it.

>   I do recall hearing about a mailing list software package once,
>   where they used headers to divide rooms, and so on, and I believe
>   that there were some operations you could mail in, to say,
>   "give me that room, oh, don't give me that room."
>
>   It's not the same as you are talking about, but it is similar.
>
>   Unfortunately, I don't remember it's name.

mike
http://lets.coozi.com.au/