[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Jul 17 08:16:17 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> > >   Honestly, though, nobody is forcing you to read the thread;
> > >   I ignore several other threads that I don't care for, either.
> >
> > This is exactly the kind of head-in-the-sand comment that good mailing
> > list software would make irrelevant and obsolete. Instead of
> > pretending that such discussions have no cost (clearly they have a
> > cost; many people unsubscribe altogether instead of ignoring the one
> > thread, and if the conversation actually gets interesting I will miss
> > out) we could actually make them have no (or at least very low) cost.
>
>   Well-- Wait, okay-- I have two lines of question.
>
>   The first is personal and close:
>   "Are people leaving the list because of the discussion on
>   Consciousness?"  If that's true, I want to stop the conversation.
>   I'd feel really bad if I knew (thought, even) that people were leaving
>   the list.  It hasn't so much been "head in the sand," as, "it not even
>   occurring to me."

Two answers to that:
(1) We have no way of knowing ;)
(2) The membership of this list is unusually tolerant of such stuff,
so this list constitutes a bad example. I do know people and lists
where the cumulative effect of similar long, high-volume threads have
made people unsubscribe, to the extreme detriment of the list. (It
wouldn't surprise me if something similar is happening here; many of
the names that used to be active here are no longer, and I'd guess at
least part of that is the list's tendency to high-volume,
high-intensity threads that are of only limited general interest.)

Luis