[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Tue Jul 17 10:44:13 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 09:51:36PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> When are we going to get mailing list software that is smarter than
> your average rock? Something that does something other than 'pass all
> messages to all members.'

Hm.  I've been wishing for an easier feedback mechanism for spam.

Any email server along the way could add headers that say, "when you
show this email, give the user the option of telling me it's spam and
they don't want to see anything like it again", or "I'm not sure if it's
spam, please ask the user if it's spam or not and let me know."

For mailing lists, one could add "this thread sucks" or "unsubscribe me".

For email-to-mobile-device gateways, "Don't forward messages like this"
or "alert me on these" or even, "respond with a 'yes'".

Maybe:
which would present a "Mark as Troll" button that, when clicked, would
generate an email to feedback at xent.com with the UUID (to unambiguously
distinguish the user and prevent spoofing and other abuse) and the
message, "Feedback: Mark as Troll".

This would be an opportunity to add indicators for web-archives and
other metadata.  I keep thinking that folks must've defined this stuff
back in the old request-files-via-email days, but...

OTOH, additional UI clutter would suck.

Technical solutions to social problems while-u-wait,
  Aaron