[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Karl Anderson <kra at monkey.org> on Tue Jul 17 11:21:12 PDT 2007

Luis Villa wrote:
> On 7/17/07, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:
>> > Does this exist and I am clueless?
>> >

>> X-THREAD-URL:http://somewhere.com/list-id/2cb10c440707161851s5d1cdb5au7e3bfce52ee78757
>>

>> me, I'd like to add RSS/Atom feeds to the wishlist. ;)
>
> Those are both nice ideas. (I have particular interest in the
> X-THREAD-URL, since a goal of my ideal mailing list software would be
> to minimize repeated conversations- which means good archives.)
>
> I'm a little less interested in the RSS/Atom feeds; not that they are
> bad, but that in and of themselves they are just polish on a turd.

I disagree.  I think that the archive link and the feed are important,
because the client is where it's at.  I want my mail client to read
and send mail, not get separate profile information from each server
that hosts a mailing list.

I know where you're coming from.  I'm in the middle of switching from
gnus to mail.app.  gnus started as a newsreader (so I get points for
grumbling about remembering USENET ;).  gnus basically sorts threads;
you can score users up or down, and threads with the highest overall
user score float to the top.  You can also score threads, but I
usually don't bother (you can also configure it with elisp until it's
self-aware, since it's an emacs module, but let's not get into that).

With gnus, I had forgotten about Beberg and the people who got sucked
into his theads.  I still need gnus to read comp.lang.python, with a
few hundred postings a day, and to skim several technical lists on
subjects that I'm not very familiar with.  I really want to find a
sort-thread-by-poster plugin for mail.app.

You want collaborative filtering?  Get that archive link and the
feed.  Let people flag posts on Reddit or Google Reader or whatever
they're using this week.  Yes, I know this is dumb, but it seems less
dumb than yet another collaborative filtering app that needs a
specialized client.