[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Jul 17 12:11:54 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Karl Anderson <kra at monkey.org> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
> >> >

> >> X-THREAD-URL:http://somewhere.com/list-id/2cb10c440707161851s5d1cdb5au7e3bfce52ee78757
> >>

> >> me, I'd like to add RSS/Atom feeds to the wishlist. ;)
> >
> > Those are both nice ideas. (I have particular interest in the
> > X-THREAD-URL, since a goal of my ideal mailing list software would be
> > to minimize repeated conversations- which means good archives.)
> >
> > I'm a little less interested in the RSS/Atom feeds; not that they are
> > bad, but that in and of themselves they are just polish on a turd.
>
> I disagree.  I think that the archive link and the feed are important,
> because the client is where it's at.  I want my mail client to read
> and send mail, not get separate profile information from each server
> that hosts a mailing list.
>
> I know where you're coming from.  I'm in the middle of switching from
> gnus to mail.app.  gnus started as a newsreader (so I get points for
> grumbling about remembering USENET ;).  gnus basically sorts threads;
> you can score users up or down, and threads with the highest overall
> user score float to the top.  You can also score threads, but I
> usually don't bother (you can also configure it with elisp until it's
> self-aware, since it's an emacs module, but let's not get into that).
>
> With gnus, I had forgotten about Beberg and the people who got sucked
> into his theads.  I still need gnus to read comp.lang.python, with a
> few hundred postings a day, and to skim several technical lists on
> subjects that I'm not very familiar with.  I really want to find a
> sort-thread-by-poster plugin for mail.app.
>
> You want collaborative filtering?  Get that archive link and the
> feed.  Let people flag posts on Reddit or Google Reader or whatever
> they're using this week.  Yes, I know this is dumb, but it seems less
> dumb than yet another collaborative filtering app that needs a
> specialized client.

As I said in the first email, a specific goal is that this be
implementable within standard mail clients (caveat: if your mail
client is not HTML-aware, your mail client is no longer standard). I
think 90+% of a collaborative modding/scoring system could easily be
implemented by clicking on links in footers, which would send data
back to a smart server, which would process later mails in each thread
appropriately.

Luis