[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Tue Jul 17 12:32:09 PDT 2007

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 02:09:08PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > The mailing list problem is and isn't a social problem. Yes, the fact
> > that there are trolls is a social problem. But the fact that otherwise
> > well-intentioned, non-trollish people lack social/facial cues when
> > interacting over email is a technical problem, and we should look to
> > supplement/replace those as much as possible.
>
> It would have been interesting and useful to have that some 10-15 years
> ago. Right now email is rapidly heading for the big bit bucket in the sky,
> and will become completely irrelevant in another 5-10 years.

(1) I disagree; but more importantly for the purposes of this discussions
(2) the same problems and requirements (and very similar solutions)
apply to any type of scalable electronic communication- bulletin
boards, RSS/blogs, etc. Much of my ideas on the topic come from a
friend who is convinced that the right way to build this is out of
wordpress + planetplanet, not email/mailman. I tend to disagree that
this is the right solution (for reasons kra pointed out) but if email
does die the problems just shift to these other spaces.

Luis (spam sucks, but it shouldn't prevent moving forward along other
axes of the digital communication problem)