[FoRK] my dream mailing list software

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Tue Jul 17 12:47:56 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 03:32:09PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:

> >It would have been interesting and useful to have that some 10-15 years
> >ago. Right now email is rapidly heading for the big bit bucket in the sky,
> >and will become completely irrelevant in another 5-10 years.
>
> (1) I disagree; but more importantly for the purposes of this discussions

Many people would *already* claim that email is obsolete.
And in terms of raw numbers, they would be quite correct.

> (2) the same problems and requirements (and very similar solutions)

It's not the same application, and not the same code, so if somebody
patched Mailman it wouldn mean jack for the other points in problem
space, nevermind other problem spaces.

> apply to any type of scalable electronic communication- bulletin
> boards, RSS/blogs, etc. Much of my ideas on the topic come from a

I don't care much for email. I absolutely do not care for BBS, RSS/blogs.
Email scales, barely. BBS/RSS/blogs do not scale at all.

> friend who is convinced that the right way to build this is out of
> wordpress + planetplanet, not email/mailman. I tend to disagree that

He's wrong. The correct answer is 'myoelectricity, and a form of fusion'.

> this is the right solution (for reasons kra pointed out) but if email
> does die the problems just shift to these other spaces.

And these other spaces are even less prepared to deal with them.

> Luis (spam sucks, but it shouldn't prevent moving forward along other

Spam is other people's problem, but I way past caring about other
people's digital communication problems.

> axes of the digital communication problem)

I think the operative word is 'axe'.