[FoRK] Protest the war and the Prez can now take your stuff.

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Thu Jul 19 11:19:21 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Read it and weep...  <cough> ah, um, I mean, God Save Der Homeland
> und Der President-Fuhrer!
>
> 	http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

This is *precisely* why I completely ignore the routine hyperbolic
frothing by the media and left-wing pundits over the various actions
of the Bush administration, such that the Bush administration could
do something uniquely diabolical and I still would not pay attention
to their apoplexy.  They have a reliable track record of some
combination of gross historical myopia and crying wolf such that they
have no credibility.

In short, the language is standard boilerplate.  See, for example, EO
12947 from 1995, "Prohibiting Transactions With Terrorists Who
Threaten To Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process", a virtually
identical Executive Order with a different title.  All the "evil"
language is cut-n-pasted from previous EOs by previous administrations.

This EO may be bad, but if the language makes it "OMFG BUSH HITLER
NAZI!!!!111" then you can paint the last several administrations with
that brush because they've all issued Executive Orders with identical
wording that targeted nebulous groups of people.  Where was all the
outrage when, for example, EO 12947 was issued?

You just got played by political activists in the media.

J. Andrew Rogers