[FoRK] The Twenty-One Billion Dollar Man

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Jul 19 12:49:31 PDT 2007

While we're on the topic of our esteemed leader...  here's a
spreadsheet directly from the White House OMB:

	www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2008/sheets/hist04z1.xls

The portion of interest is the budget line item for the Executive
Office of the President.  Here's a summary of that line-item for
recent years in non-inflation-adjusted $millions:

   1993:  194
   1994:  231
   1995:  215
   1996:  202
   1997:  221
   1998:  237
   1999:  417
   2000:  283
   2001:  244
   2002:  451
   2003:  386
   2004:  3349
   2005:  7686
   2006:  5379
   2007:  2677
   2008:  1389
   2009:  706
   2010:  436
   2011:  354
   2012:  346

I've spun this on its ear, adjusted this five ways to Sunday for
inflation, normalized to 1970 budget units for the most underfunded
line items in here, accounted for the "extra quarter" when the
federal gov't reorganized its fiscal calendar, and generally
scratched my head a lot over the last few days puzzling over this.

I'll leave the conclusions to the reader.

BTW, notice any interesting assumptions being made?

jb