[FoRK] Protest the war and the Prez can now take your stuff.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Jul 19 15:03:57 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 3:46 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 12:06 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>> On Jul 19, 2007, at 1:19 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
>>> then you can paint the last several administrations with that brush
>>
>> You can.  But frankly, the last several administrations weren't
>> nearly as big a concern as this one, now were they?  I.e., I'm
>> much less concerned about this type of thing in the hands of a
>> generally moderate poon-hound than a delusional, power-drunk
>> theofascist.  So here's the other question:  why is the retort to
>> anything that Bush does always to point out that it bears some
>> resemblance to something that some previous administration has
>> done?  That doesn't in any way excuse or dismiss or dilute the
>> "badness" of the thing in question;  it merely distracts at best,
>> at worst it desensitizes us to the problems of power.
>

> This is a really weak rationalization that is essentially some
> combination of selective outrage and selective morality.

There's nothing selective about it.

The particulars of the EO are independent of any particular
"morality" (or judgment thereof) or outrage.  It's quite simple:

The EO is a problem, regardless of the administration that issues
it.  Under this administration, particularly vexing.

Next?

jb