[FoRK] Protest the war and the Prez can now take your stuff.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Jul 19 15:31:45 PDT 2007

On Jul 19, 2007, at 3:46 PM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> People on all sides of the aisle have been complaining about this
> particular type of Executive Order for at least a couple decades
> but somehow it is never a problem that needs to be curtailed when
> your guy (whoever "your guy" may be) has the power.  And the "other
> guy" is always a power-drunk evil bastard of some sort.

BTW, it's worth noting that this "your guy" / "other guy"
characterization certainly doesn't apply to my own politics (though
perhaps to those whose characterization I was merely parroting for
effect --- sure.)  I certainly never voted for Clinton, though I also
never had the completely frothy reaction to him that so many on
others on the right did.  Nor did I vote for Bush, though as
mentioned on this list in the run-up to the 2000 election given a
choice solely between Gore and Bush I would then have voted for
Bush.  (I voted for Harry Browne that year.)  (In hindsight, I feel
like I dodged a bullet! ;-)

OTOH, while Clinton appears to still bedevil the would-be apologists
for the Bush administration for frankly bewildering reasons, you'd
have to be a close-the-ranks Bushie to fail to see the failings of
this administration and the particularly dangerous precedent they are
establishing about executive authority.

> Since I generally consider Kool-Aid to be unhealthy, I do not
> consider the advertising for different flavors to contain a
> meaningful distinction that should cause me to prefer one over the
> other.  It's all sugar water to me.

Cf. The Myth of the Rational Voter.

The problem is systematic bias.  *Engineered* systematic bias.

Pushing Hi-C vs. Kool-Aid isn't the right metaphor;  maybe we just
don't need a metaphor, as the issue is simple.  Most people don't
think, they just absorb what they hear.  In that environment, the
loudest (or at least most effective) voice wins.  At least if
multiple diametrically opposed voices are vying for attention, you
can hope that they mostly cancel each other out.

I didn't invent the vaccine, I'm just passing it along. :-)

jb