[FoRK] Book recommendation: Google's PageRank and Beyond

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun Jul 22 12:49:41 PDT 2007

Having read any number of books and papers on information retrieval,
text processing and modeling, and so on, I have to say that I've
never really found a good, grounded, yet comprehensive treatment of
the matter that I really like.  Web search engines are of course a
special case of all that, and the Google papers on the topic have
been as close to useful as anything I've read.  Until now.

"Google's PageRank and Beyond:  The Science of Search Engine
Rankings" by Langville and Meyer is as good a presentation of the
topic (admittedly a special case, but nonetheless) as I've seen.
It's also a good introduction to the range of techniques that I've
loosely been calling "pseudo-intelligence" for some time now.
Recommended:

	http://www.amazon.com/Googles-PageRank-Beyond-Science-Rankings/dp/
0691122024/

$0.02,