[FoRK] (no subject)

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Wed Jul 25 05:15:04 PDT 2007

On 7/24/07, Paul Jimenez <pj at place.org> wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:

> >> Oho, put me in contact with this person. I am bending the same way
> >> (I'm not sure it's a viable commercial proposition, but I am sure the
> >> pendulum is about to swing once again away from centralised apps, and
> >> I'm fascinated to see what others think about the extent.)
> >
> >No, no, bring them here. I think this is a very interesting space too
> >(though also count me as skeptical in the commercial-viability camp.)
>
> Ahem. You rang? :) I admit to babbling at JB a fair bit about building
> distributed friendster/flickr/blog/personal web services on top of what
> didn't-exist-at-the-time-but-is-now-OpenID. I even cobbled a little foaf
> server together with a crappy (but general, and generated straight from
> the rdf ontology) UI for inputting data. I got as far as the distributed
> auth problem before running out of steam trying to implement a scheme
> very similar to OpenID.

The distributed part is very hard. Kragen (who has unfortunately been
mostly AWOL of late) argues that without p2p you have no guarantees of
freedom; but I'm skeptical that p2p-based solutions will be
practicable in the near future, so I'm working to see what can be done
from a legal/licensing perspective to make non-p2p systems more
reliable.

> >Note that in the broader world I'm
> >working on an open services definition:
> >http://tieguy.org/blog/2007/07/22/evaluating-a-freeopen-service-definition-rough-draft/
> >
> >which has been discussed here before.
>
> Interesting. I'd love to be able to pick my services by which ones are
> 'FOSD Compliant', just like Debian only picks software that's DFSG-Free.

That would be one of the goals. Any feedback is welcome.

> >Also, possibly of interest is the recent open-sourcing of connector,
> >which does calendaring/mail/document sharing/shared tagging stuff and
> >looks pretty nice (though I haven't actually installed it yet.)
> >
> >http://joyeur.com/2007/07/13/connector-and-slingshot-open-sourced-and-free
>
> Also interesting. I'll have to take a look at it. Another of my
> interests is open hardware - I'm eagerly awaiting the Octoberish release
> of FIC's Neo1973 v2 with wifi. I wonder how well connector would work as
> a 640x480 webapp? With source available, I can at least try and make it
> work. Without it there's no hope.

Amen to that.

Luis