[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Rohit Khare <khare at alumni.caltech.edu> on Mon Aug 6 13:45:12 PDT 2007

Hmm... I wonder what the longer-term graphs look like, since it was
almost a third when I was there over a decade ago -- and it was down
to 28.5% last year! Was that an abberration, or a crisis? Was it a
gap between offers and yield?

And the general population of college students is now 57% female ?!
Boy, boys are falling out of favor -- I thought the differential was
a few points, not 14! -- RK

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-caltech6aug06,1,4210437.story
> [...]
> females, "opportunity and success should be equal for both sexes,"
> Mak said.
>
> Although Caltech insists that it did not lower its notoriously
> tough admission standards or practice affirmative action for women,
> the school said it more actively and shrewdly recruited women this
> year.
>
> Among other things, Caltech made its female applicants more aware
> that, for example, they could be physics majors but also study
> music and literature, said Rick Bischoff, director of undergraduate
> admissions.
>
> "That's not to say men are not interested in those issues," but
> those seem to resonate more with women, Bischoff said.
>
> According to the National Science Foundation, women outnumber men
> in the full-time graduate-level study of many biological sciences,
> but are woefully underrepresented by a 2-1 ratio in physical
> science fields, such as chemistry and physics, and by a 3-1 ratio
> in computer science.
>
> Caltech is not alone among science and engineering campuses in
> grappling with gender imbalances. Harvey Mudd College, which also
> attracts top-flight students, saw its percentage of freshman women
> drop to about 25% last year from a recent average of about 33%. But
> this year, the campus is proud of a rise to a record 42.6% of an
> expected 197 freshmen.
>
> That increase was attributed in part to the actions of Harvey
> Mudd's new president, Maria Klawe, the first woman in that post.
> Among other steps, she sent handwritten letters to every woman who
> had been accepted at Harvey Mudd, urging them to enroll there.
>
> "It didn't hurt at all that we have a woman president who cares
> deeply about these issues," said Peter Osgood, Harvey Mudd's
> admissions director.
>
> The anticipated female presence among MIT's 1,070 freshmen — 46% —
> is close to what it has been for the last four years or so. MIT
> does not have "quotas of any kind or policies that would mirror
> such quotas, but we do try our best to enroll as diverse a class as
> possible across the board," said Ben Jones, associate director of
> admissions.
>
> At Cal Poly San Luis Obispo's engineering college, the percentage
> of female freshmen is up slightly from 13.1% to 15.4%. The
> percentage of female freshmen enrolled in its college of science
> and mathematics is expected to remain at about 56% this fall, the
> same as last year, said James Maraviglia, assistant vice president
> for admissions and financial aid issues.
>
> Phoebe Leboy, president-elect of the Assn. for Women in Science,
> said the presence of women in many science fields is rising. She
> attributed the increase to improved K-12 education and to young men
> being lured to more lucrative careers, such as Wall Street.
>
> Leboy has a mixed view of Caltech's recruitment of women.
>
> "I think they can do better," she said, "but one has to give them a

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/arts/la-et-
caltech23jul23,1,3435768.story