[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Aug 7 13:11:36 PDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
> I'm involved a bit in the diversity stuff here. Minorities just are not
> going grad school, even tho our undergrads are almost spot on to US
> demographics. But more to your comment, the American-born male numbers
> in college are plummeting fast. Couldn't be anything to do with all the
> synthetic estrogens in everything we eat, hormones in all the meat, etc.

  What are boys doing instead of going to college?

  (Do we know?)

  And what reasons do they give for their choices?

  Are there any studies that divide the question,
  "Why are boys not attending college," into multiple
  hypothesis and sub-questions, and research them?

  (I guess I've been spoiled by the "Rainbow's End's"
   approach to problem solving.)