[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue Aug 7 13:12:38 PDT 2007

Corinna Schultz wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:
>
>> flouridation is a favourite topic of the anti-science "back to nature"
>> wingnuts.
>>

> I thought that it was a legitimate concern, that it is possible to
> ingest too much flouride. IIRC, the science says that flouride is
> great when used topically (like in toothpaste and rinses), but has
> very little effect ingested (except, I suppose for the instant that
> the water contacts your teeth).
>
> Again, iirc, the studies which compared towns with naturally
> flouridated water with other towns were flawed.
>
> Diet, the presence of a particular bacteria in your mouth, and general
> hygiene habits play a much larger role in dental health. Personally
> I'm wary of ingesting random chemicals...

I don't think that flouride is so random...  It has a direct affect on
teeth.  If it affects anything else, it would be good to know
definitively.  I've never noticed a difference.
The biggest secret in managing mouth bacteria, especially bad breath, is
hydrogen peroxide.  They've finally started coming out with expensive HO
mouthwashes, but a $0.79 bottle will last for weeks.
> (Maybe I'm biased -- I used midwives, I breastfed my kids for a long

Midwives are fine if you don't have an emergency.  Someone with a sharp,
clean knife who knows how to use it and plenty of antiseptic and
suturing might suddenly be necessary to prevent one or two deaths.

Breastfeeding is definitely good, but not vegetarian.  ;-)
> time, I delayed their immunizations, and practiced NFP birth control
> for 14 years. Oh, and my kids are vegetarian, and I don't think I'm a

That would never work reliably around me.
It's also a lot of work to do right it seems.