[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Tue Aug 7 13:31:12 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
> On 8/6/07, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm involved a bit in the diversity stuff here. Minorities just are not
>> going grad school, even tho our undergrads are almost spot on to US
>> demographics. But more to your comment, the American-born male numbers
>> in college are plummeting fast. Couldn't be anything to do with all the
>> synthetic estrogens in everything we eat, hormones in all the meat, etc.
>>

>   What are boys doing instead of going to college?
>
>   (Do we know?)
>
>   And what reasons do they give for their choices?

I'm not sure how well this maps to all boys in current and recent eras,
but I've observed many boys, and some girls, that are just not
interested in any more school, academics, intellectual pursuits, sports,
or curiosity about knowledge in general.  US teenagers frequently get
wrapped up completely with socializing,  socializing while driving,
being as cool as possible, playing video games (and not sports), fantasy
art, music, sex, drugs, alcohol, and being extremely impatient to become
(unprepared) adults.  While they know that they should prepare, they
find it one of the least interesting and rewarding things to do.

Often, a few years out of high school, they wish that they had made
different choices.

They aren't getting the wakeup call that they need at the right time and
it's not clear what would actually work in any lasting way.

sdw