[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Tue Aug 7 13:48:22 PDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Lion Kimbro wrote:

> On 8/6/07, Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> wrote:
>> I'm involved a bit in the diversity stuff here. Minorities just
>> are not
>> going grad school, even tho our undergrads are almost spot on to US
>> demographics. But more to your comment, the American-born male
>> numbers
>> in college are plummeting fast. Couldn't be anything to do with
>> all the
>> synthetic estrogens in everything we eat, hormones in all the
>> meat, etc.
>

>   What are boys doing instead of going to college?

The bell curve effect argues that they aren't going to college
because they aren't smart enough.  The shifting percentage would then
be a natural correction as the barriers to women were removed, and
the total number of college students increased.

>   Are there any studies that divide the question,
>   "Why are boys not attending college," into multiple
>   hypothesis and sub-questions, and research them?

I'm very leery of the use of percentages in this situation.  If the
total number of attendees is rising and the shift is just a shift in
the ratio of men/women, then it seems a very tenuous thing to base
decisions/policy/etc... on.