[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Aug 7 14:07:20 PDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
> Lion Kimbro wrote:
> I'm not sure how well this maps to all boys in current and recent eras,
> but I've observed many boys, and some girls, that are just not
> interested [...]

  There are so many different ways we could take this, right?

  * Look to the effects of hormones and chemicals.
  * Look to video games and the carnage of modern society.
  * Look to feminism and culture.
  * Look to bell curves.
  * Look to loss of religion.

  We could also go, ...

  * Is this a bad thing?  Perhaps we rush kids to college too quickly.
  * Is this a bad thing?  Perhaps it's better for women to rule the world.
  * Is this a bad thing?  Look at all the successes who fail out of college.
  * Is this a bad thing?  Perhaps civilization is a bad idea.
  * Is this a bad thing?  Perhaps self-education and working are
better before college.

  So many different stories we could fit this point of data into...