[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Tue Aug 7 15:16:30 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote on 8/7/2007 2:47 PM:
>   "Why Men Earn More"
>   http://www.amazon.com/Why-Men-Earn-More-Startling/dp/0814472109
>   Based on my review of the Amazon's reviews:
>
>   It's premise is that men earn more, taking on more stressful jobs,
>   because they feel like they're supposed to be the providers.
>
>   It claims that given equal labor, women actually make more than men.
>
>   It recommends to women to aspire higher, and undertake harder
>   labors, in order to earn more money.

Studies now show if you correct for the fact that a majority of men
negotiate a higher starting salary, and almost no women do, men/women
are earning the same wage for the same job. Women just take the lower
initial offer. That's the theory the MBA types are pushing, and it seems
to be a very solid study. So they are encouraging to women to do so.
Something so obvious, and totally overlooked.

I've gotten usually about 10%, in one case even 33%, more then an
initial offer negotiating. Does that mean I earned 33% more - yes! Was I
getting the same starting offer any man/woman/gay/black (but not H1B)
would get - also yes!

So simple. And all this time nobody figured this out, that's the amazing
part.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/