[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Tue Aug 7 19:57:04 PDT 2007

A couple of points about this thread.

 - College costs are skyrocketing. When my dad was first putting himself
thru night school in the 1970's the cost to go to CUNY was 0$, books fees
and the like were what you had to pony up. When I go out of high school in
83 that had changed. I spent a few more months saving up to go to a school I
wanted only to realize they were not going to teach me computers until third
year.. I basically wound up hanging out, unenrolled, at NJIT thru the mid
80's getting a crazy cool education and having access to all sorts of
networking. I was working at the time as well to do a little something
called living. So I am not a college graduate...that one male out of the
pool back then.

 - Females getting a more fair entry into tech, physics, and other bastions
of dunderhead male geekness is a great thing to see but is not happening
soon enough for me. I know some one who has a brilliant mind for physics and
dropped out after feeling the male push back.

- There is a DIYism going around that I think might be contributing for
folks bypassing the 4-8 years of  study to go do something they feel
passionate about that might not be in a CS or EE degree.

- Chemicals in the water...well there are species of certian water based
critters turning way over towards the female side of the scale due, so it is
asserted now, to chemical insertions into the water supply. Urban myth,
growing trend, how would i look in a dress???

- And let us not forget this trend...Intelligence is being devalued in this
country. The Gama's are pushing a great little big tent campaign to show big
brained Alpha/Betas as being not so cool. Trend again...the End Of
Smarts....its cooler now to fall on the ground and weep that the spirit has
moved you to understand that Inteligent Design is the real deal than it is
to study up a point with facts and defendable scientific methodology.   "we
dont need no smarty pants making us feel dumberz, we will just import some
brainiacs on temporary visas and they can go home when they done did what
needs doin."

points

-tomhggins