[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> on Wed Aug 8 03:13:26 PDT 2007

Corinna Schultz writes:
> On 8/7/07, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:
> > flouridation is a favourite topic of the anti-science "back to nature"
> > wingnuts.
>
> I thought that it was a legitimate concern, that it is possible to
> ingest too much flouride. IIRC, the science says that flouride is
> great when used topically (like in toothpaste and rinses), but has
> very little effect ingested (except, I suppose for the instant that
> the water contacts your teeth).
>
> Again, iirc, the studies which compared towns with naturally
> flouridated water with other towns were flawed.
>
> Diet, the presence of a particular bacteria in your mouth, and general
> hygiene habits play a much larger role in dental health. Personally
> I'm wary of ingesting random chemicals...

As far as I know, the proven effects of too much flouride in drinking
water, is flouridosis; discoloration of the teeth.  That's it.  On the
other hand, it prevents lots of pain and discomfort, basically for free.

And we are surrounded by "random chemicals", ingesting thousands of them
every day ;)

--j.