[FoRK] Breaking with the Trend

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Aug 8 14:54:32 PDT 2007

BTW, congrats Whump!  (I'm envious of the Linden guys;  this is in
essence exactly what I wanted to do with our speculative "Venue"
product at Activerse.)

On Aug 8, 2007, at 3:20 PM, B.K. DeLong wrote:

> Is Linden just Second Life these days? All these articles of a
> crashing virtual economy and empty SL makes me wonder how long they'll
> continue to be viable.

Excellent summary of said crisis here:

   http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=19193

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  Anyone want to take
the other side of a prop bet?  I'm betting Linden will just increase
the money supply beyond the (expected, engineered) rate of regular
inflation, bail Ginko out, take a hit on the exchange rates, and
institute banking regulation.  They'll do it fast because they last
thing they want is yet more scrutiny from US legislative, taxing
authority, and regulatory bodies.

The 2L stock market issue's a separate but far less serious thing
IMHO;  a glitch rather than a fundamental problem.  And in general, I
agree with Bloomfield;  as long as the popularity and growth in
users / user-created content continues, the economy will survive
shocks to the system despite it's precarious nature.  And over time
the economic environment overall, and particularly from regulatory
and transparency perspectives, will grow to resemble IRL economies,
the major difference being the inflationary mechanics.

jb