[FoRK] Einstein didn't drop out of school (was: Breaking with the Trend)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Aug 8 16:51:03 PDT 2007

On 8/8/07, Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Many people switch schools. When they then finish their degree, at
> the usual age, it distorts things a bit to say that they dropped out
> of school. With Einstein, there are all sorts of apocryphal stories
> about his childhood and education, to make his genius seem all that
> more miraculous. But the truth is that he was a good student who
> developed an early interest in math and physics.

  Is there more to it?

  I found this page:
    "Is the Value of Formal Education Overrated?"
    http://www.hal-pc.org/~wtb/valueofformaledu.html

  Point 7 is on Einstein;
  It has several references, (I don't know their value, though,)
  and completes with:

"""
In later life, Einstein spoke bitterly of his schooling, most of which
he detested. He maintained that his education [schooling] hindered his