[FoRK] [LATimes] Two Caltech pieces: 37% female enrollment, sculpture

Corinna Schultz <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> on Fri Aug 10 12:18:08 PDT 2007

Well, I decided to look it up instead of being lazy. This is the sort
of thing I was referring to (that I remembered from doing this sort of
research way back when I was first pregnant):

You have to ingest humongous quantities for it to cause damage, but it
is possible, given certain lifestyles:

http://www.yobserver.com/sports-health-and-lifestyle/10012356.html
http://fluoridealert.org/health/news/23.html
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec12/ch155/ch155d.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6861&page=2#FLUORIDE
MedicineNet:  What about fluoride in treating osteoporosis?

Dr. Truong: Fluoride is unique in that it stimulates bone formation,
while the other osteoporosis medications improve bone density by
inhibiting bone resorption. However, the bone formed by fluoride
stimulation appears to be weaker than normal bone and may be more
prone to fracture. Fluoride also causes frequent side effects such as
stomach upset and pain in the joints and lower extremities. Flouride
is not an FDA approved treatment of osteoporosis in the United States.

Even though a recent study suggests that using a slow release fluoride
preparation in lower doses may be better tolerated and more effective
in building stronger bone and reducing bone fractures in the spine,
there is still insufficient data to recommend fluoride as a treatment
for osteoporosis.

On 8/8/07, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:
> As far as I know, the proven effects of too much flouride in drinking
> water, is flouridosis; discoloration of the teeth.

The question for me is not whether flouride is good, but how it should
be used: topically instead of ingested. I wholeheartedly approve of
floridated toothpaste and flouride rinses.

And yeah, I figure since I'm already ingesting random chemicals, why
do it on purpose :)  A not-entirely-consistent position, to be sure,
since I do use caffeine and alcohol on occasion, and painkillers (but
only if I really really need it, like when I sprained my ankle). Both
my kids were born without drugs, for example. Somehow, the sprained
ankle was worse than labor, go figure. :)

(and as an aside, if you're young and healthy, birthing complications
are rare, and can usually be predicted ahead of time, or early enough
to get you to a hospital. There's always a backup doctor on standby if
they're needed. A midwife can handle some emergencies like excessive
bleeding after delivery, which happened to me in my first birth. I
probably would have died without pitocin. Since I'm approaching that
magic age of 35, when statistically your chances of horrible things
happening seems to skyrocket, I'd probably opt for a midwife in the
hospital kind of situation if I were to have another child. I'm just
glad that we have the ability to make these kinds of choices.)

-Corinna