[FoRK] perseids in portland

Elias Sinderson <elias at soe.ucsc.edu> on Fri Aug 10 14:04:23 PDT 2007

Corinna Schultz wrote:
> For any of you in the area who have been around the block a few times...
Well, I haven't been in the area for a while but hopefully you'll
forgive that.  ;)
> will I be able to see the meteor shower from beaverton [...] ?
Depends entirely upon the intensity of the meteor shower, but you'll
likely be able to see the more significant events from within the city
limits.
> Is there a better location within, say 30 min radius?
30 minutes drive outside any city would offer a better opportunity to
see a meteor shower than one would have inside the city, especially if
the viewing is towards a more densely populated area (looking E, in the
case of Beaverton). As such, I would highly recommend getting outside of
town, but preferably not further West because Perseus will be rising in
the East (and the light pollution from Portland would still have a
measurable impact on the show)...

- Elias