[FoRK] Black Belt Bayesian vs. Authority, Fight!

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Sat Aug 11 11:33:55 PDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:59:06AM -0700, Jef Allbright wrote:

> Just another reason why I keep all my books in digital form.  Even

In absence of real tablet PC it's not really practical.

> accounting for the half hour I spent on this particular book (in
> addition to scanning and OCRing) to type all the section headings as
> PDF bookmarks.

What kind of scanners do you use? I was looking at Plustek OpticBook 3600,
which is some 250 EUR. Given that I consider a Brother MFC-7820 lavish
(325 EUR, and it's a networked printer/scanner/fax/copier) it's a lot
of dough. Also, I've used some batch OCR, and I'm not entirely overwhelmed
by the quality.

> It's nice having one's personal library available wherever one goes,
> as well as the conveniences of search, annotation, self-illuminating
> "pages", etc.

Even nicer, if you've got the right form factor, and display. The
technology is not nearly there, though a tablet MacBook would come
close.

> But lately I've been feeling the lack of a **reliable** sheet feeder
> in the personal-equipment price range, and books are starting to stack
> up.  Any suggestions from the list?

Are you one of these spine-guillotineers?