[FoRK] Black Belt Bayesian vs. Authority, Fight!

Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> on Sat Aug 11 14:34:50 PDT 2007

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 10:59:06AM -0700, Jef Allbright wrote:
>
> > Just another reason why I keep all my books in digital form.  Even
>
> In absence of real tablet PC it's not really practical.

On my Vaio tx-series notebook the display is quite adequate, and for
text-only my Palm Tungsten is much nicer than holding a book
(especially in bed), and on a 1GB memory card I can store a heap o'
books.

> > accounting for the half hour I spent on this particular book (in
> > addition to scanning and OCRing) to type all the section headings as
> > PDF bookmarks.
>
> What kind of scanners do you use? I was looking at Plustek OpticBook 3600,
> which is some 250 EUR. Given that I consider a Brother MFC-7820 lavish
> (325 EUR, and it's a networked printer/scanner/fax/copier) it's a lot
> of dough. Also, I've used some batch OCR, and I'm not entirely overwhelmed
> by the quality.

My situation is that I used to have easy access to a multi k$
corporate scanner, but for the last year I've had only a recent
vintage HP (can't remember the model ATM, and I'm on the road) in the
$500 range.  Used to be able to cut the spine, load a book, and walk
away and a half hour later have an OCRd PDF.  Now, a couple of hours
(min) manually clearing jams and restarting -- if I were masochistic
and time-wealthy enough to proceed.

> > It's nice having one's personal library available wherever one goes,
> > as well as the conveniences of search, annotation, self-illuminating
> > "pages", etc.
>

> Are you one of these spine-guillotineers?

I used to obtain a book and typically on that same day I'd guillotine
it, scan it and throw away the carcass.  Much more convenient for the
mobile lifestyle.

- Jef