[FoRK] Black Belt Bayesian vs. Authority, Fight!

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Sat Aug 11 22:06:54 PDT 2007

I haven't started digitizing my books, but it sounds pretty attractive.
I may be too sentimental for the physical bits.  How do you guillotine
reliably and quickly?

It is certainly legal to scan your own book.  I haven't heard of any
challenges although sometimes I see prohibitions against digital forms,
etc.  It seems like it would be legal to share scans of books with other
people that have the same physical book.  Sure, it would have challenges
if it became widespread, but hard to show that it isn't within fair
use.  Doing that properly, even if informal, would be great.

In any case, the best deal and performance for an auto feeding, double
sided, great software bundled (both scanner app. and bundled, automatic
compress to PDF with background OCR) is the Fujitsu ScanSnap.  It comes
with a full version of Adobe PDF.  The only flaw is that you must use
their scan and manage application due to non-standard Windows and Mac
drivers, however the application is pretty good.

That scanner scans to bitonal PDF at 18 double-sided pages per minute.
It can also due three levels of color scans to PDF.  It runs about $400
and, when I bought it at the end of last year, had a good rebate.

I scan every single piece of mail, rebate, business card, receipt, etc.
before it goes anywhere.  Combined with Google Desktop Search, I can
find personal paperwork about 90% of the time in 5 seconds.  Instead of
filing paperwork, I throw it in a box pending disposal.

http://www.amazon.com/Scansnap-S510-600DPI-Image-Scanner/dp/B000RUOW66

sdw