[FoRK] Numbers: first impressions

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun Aug 12 15:15:11 PDT 2007

I've been using Apple's new spreadsheet, Numbers, fairly extensively
for the last several days.  Thought I would take the opportunity to
share some first impressions.

--

Very interesting.  The free-form spreadsheet concept is potentially a
very big deal.  Will likely be much more usable than previous

The "multiple, named tables per page" concept is very powerful.  The
expression language includes table-column-row qualified symbolic
references to cells, for example, rather than saying something like

   =B3

you can say

   =August Cash

This is hypothetically a huge win, but takes some getting used to and
requires (like all complex-system building) some discipline in
naming.  Things get cumbersome fairly quickly, such as

   =October Previous month’s balance+October Available cash+October
Additional income-October Monthly expenses-October Planned expenses
+Monthly Net Income :: $Amount $Planned Monthly Savings

I think it's debatable whether that's an improvement. ;-)

The charting function is missing lots of familiar chart types, and
has a little too much "magic" in how it works.  (Select cells and
drag onto a chart object.)  I'm still trying to produce multi-series
plots that I find acceptable;  even a simple two-series bar chart has
so far not yielded results that are terribly useful.

The interface *feels* sort of modal, particularly with respect to
selection.  This is a common problem in *Works-like integrated apps
where you have different embedded object types.  Clicking can be in
the context of positioning the object on the page, selecting the
object for operation on the whole object, or selecting a part of an
object (i.e., a cell within a table.)  In particular row and column
selection seems a little off;  a couple of times I've found myself
completely unable to do row or column selection until I switched
context away to another application then came back.  Still, overall
navigation and the ability to locate particular tools and features is
vastly better than e.g. Excel on the Mac.

Numbers is slow.  Part of this, I'm sure, is my now-obsolete 1.25
GHz / 2GB PowerBook G4, but it's more than I would expect.  Loading
even modest spreadsheets can take several seconds and any operation
on many cells that span rows or columns takes more time than you'd
expect.  Updating complex dependencies can take a bit of time, too.
On the whole it would seem there's lots of room for optimization /
improvement here.

The built-in templates are useful but a bit rigid.  In particular
I've spent a bit of time customizing one of their more complicated
examples, and while you can easily add new tables and muck around
without rendering the spreadsheet unusable, it's still a bit of a
chore to chase dependencies.  I'd like a more visual way of
identifying the reference chains, but I haven't found out how to do
that yet (if you can in fact do it at all;  perhaps that's Microsoft
IP, grrr....)

I hope Apple and Google get together on this;  I'd love to be able to
import / export / share a live, modifiable spreadsheet to e.g. Google
or dotmac.  I also find myself wishing for tabs, though clearly that
breaks the page-oriented paradigm.  I'd also like to see the same
kind of live data capture that you have in e.g. Google or Excel;
maybe it's there and I haven't found it yet.

All in all, I'm pretty happy about this.  The need to use Excel from
time to time was the only thing keeping me from de-installing
Microsoft Office.  While I'm not sure I trust Numbers completely on
importing large / complex spreadsheets, I haven't tried it yet ---
but it's much more than adequate for my purposes.

jb