[FoRK] XP Updates needed for a fresh install: Over 146 updates, over 410MB

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Sun Aug 12 22:18:13 PDT 2007

I'm currently alternating between Ubuntu (Debian based) and Centos (a
free version of Redhat, i.e. Fedora+).

I find with recent distributions that I have to install quite a few
packages, for development mainly, to have a comfortable system.  SuSe et
al used to have nice "install everything" choices.  Typically, you'll
want to find and add a number of development and experimental package
distribution sites to your local config file (especially for Ubuntu).  I
try to stick with Nvidia based systems, so I have to install the
commercial driver first also.

sdw