[FoRK] Door to Door

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Mon Aug 20 06:35:23 PDT 2007

Lion Kimbro wrote:
>   Heh!
>
>   It wasn't loading (perpetually stuck in buffering,)
>   so I found it on YouTube:
>
>     http://youtube.com/watch?v=sV-a1vmZ6y8
>
>   You want to jump into about 3:00 in, to get to the
>   actual stops door to door.  I think around 3:45,
>   an old man swings a shovel at them..!

But it's a really small shovel... ;-)

Funny!  It would have been really great if they did it enough to get a
mention on a local radio station warning of an invasion or something.
Hmm, now that's an idea.  Mob-proselytizing...  We all meet, once a year
in Salt Lake City, to return the favor.

You could do the same thing for the Islamic whatever in Oakland, but
you'd probably have too many people get shot.  (In 1994, I was riding
through downtown San Francisco with a black girl.  We started to get
handbilled at an intersection by the local Islamic fundamentalist guys,
which as you may know is a particular N. California brand of Islam mixed
with "black power" etc., until he saw me and gave her a look.  She
explained that they disapproved since I was the "white devil".  A few
weeks ago, I was flying out of Oakland and reading about a recent murder
connected with the same group and about their mixed history of social
advancement along with their link to various crimes.

In the area, there has been a "church" that rents (?) some part of the
local public high school and advertises by placing giant sandwich boards
on the medians around the neighborhoods.  Although I don't think I can
allocate the time and effort anytime soon, I've often imagined having a
competing Atheist / freethinker / humanist meeting.  Obviously, I should
be able to get equal terms for the school.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=26545&only&rss

sdw